(Open to composers of all ages and nationalities)
Congratulations to LEMBIT BEECHER (Philadelphia, PA) for being named the WINNER of our contest! We look forward to collaborating with him on a commissioned duo for bassoon and marimba.
Igmar Alderete Acosta (Cordoba, SPAIN)
Nikolai Brucher (Hamburg, GERMANY)
Andrew Davis (Philadelphia, PA)
Alexandre Ouzounoff (Paris, FRANCE)
Joelle Wallach (New York, NY)
Thank you to the 105 composers from 20 different countries who so kindly shared their voices with us. We are humbled by their interest in our duo, and it has been a great honor to explore their music.
- $2000 commission for a 10-12 minute work for bassoon and 5-octave marimba
- Travel funds (up to $500 domestic/$1000 international) to Athens, GA, USA to collaborate with the Col Legno Duo
- Publication of the commissioned work by Bachovich Music in NYC (optional)
- Multiple performances on Col Legno’s Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 tours
- Live archival recording (audio and video) of the commissioned work
- SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MARCH 16, 2015
- Winner Announced: April 13, 2015
- Commission Due: August 30, 2015
ENTRY FEE: $20
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
- Up to 3 pieces of chamber music (composed/arranged by you), with scores and parts.
- Recordings of each piece (CDs, MIDI realizations, or active links acceptable)
- Submissions will not be anonymous.
- Pieces that feature bassoon and marimba are most welcome, but not required. (see suggestions below)
SUGGESTIONS TO STRENGTHEN YOUR SUBMISSION: (these are not requirements)
Compose a short, original work for bassoon and 5-octave marimba.
- Marimba should be the primary percussion instrument used (no more than 4 mallets, please).
- Use of some smaller percussion instruments is acceptable, but keep in mind we’re a traveling ensemble. Email with questions.
- If writing multiphonics for the bassoon, please include fingerings.
- Electronics are acceptable, as long as they don’t require a 3rd performer.
Transcribe/adapt one of your own works for bassoon and marimba.
- See our videos page for some examples.
- Some instruments that translate well to bassoon: cello, saxophone, voice; marimba: piano, guitar, cello. (Please feel free to experiment).
Stay small with instrumentation.
- Try to include at least one duo, trio, or quartet.
Feature our instruments in your submissions.
- If possible, please include works that demonstrate your treatment of the bassoon and marimba (or keyboard percussion).
HOW TO SUBMIT: Two options
1. Pay submission fee with PayPal (click button below).
2. Email us a link to your Dropbox account or professional website (or similar link) containing all requested materials with your name clearly marked. (Links must remain active thru April 13, 2015). Please do not direct us to a social media site.
3. Include name, address, phone, and website (optional) in your email.
MAIL (postmarked March 16, 2015; no delivery signature requirement, please)
Col Legno Duo
42 St. Thomas Place
Bogart, GA 30622 USA
1. Pay submission fee with PayPal (click button below). Email us if unable to pay by credit card.
2. Send hard copies of a legible score and parts for each piece. Scores should be bound/taped, parts may be loose. Include name on all title pages.
3. Send CDs, MIDI realizations, or active links to online performances, Dropbox, etc.
4. Contact Info – on a separate page, include name, address, phone, email, and website (optional).
PLEASE NOTE: All mailed materials become the property of the Col Legno Duo. We will not be returning materials. Until April 13, 2015, we reserve the right to print or make copies of any materials submitted online or through the mail.
HEAR US: www.collegnoduo.com/videos
CONTACT US: firstname.lastname@example.org
**WE TRULY THANK YOU FOR HELPING US ADD TO THE REPERTOIRE OF THIS STRIKING AND BEAUTIFUL (BUT LARGELY UNDERREPRESENTED) INSTRUMENTAL COMBINATION. GOOD LUCK!**Pay with PayPal